LEWISTON, N.Y. (WIVB) — Lewiston Police are thanking one of its own for jumping into action and rescuing an elderly woman from a burning home Tuesday night.
Lewiston Police officer Jon Smith was one of the first on scene around 11:20 p.m. Tuesday when a fire broke out at 1345 Swann Road. With his body camera rolling, Smith ran to the home and pulled a trapped woman through the first-floor window of the burning house.
Lewiston Police said the woman was evaluated at the scene and wasn’t transported for medical attention.
No one was reported injured from the blaze.
Town of Lewiston Police Chief Frank Previte told News 4 that Smith has been with the force for over three years. Previte said he “couldn’t be prouder” of Smith for his actions.
An estimate on the damage to the Swann Road home wasn’t available, though Previte said it was significant.
New on WIVB.com
- Byron Brown casts his vote on Day 1 of early voting
- St. Francis downs Canisius in overtime thriller
- Sabres drop second straight in OT loss to New Jersey
- 29-year-old man shot on Pembroke Avenue in Buffalo taken to ECMC
- Aquarium of Niagara highlights the effects of water pollution with new art installation