BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — April is Donate Life Month, but the push to bring awareness to organ donation and proper registration is something One8Fifty does all year. This month, the organization is partnering with Western New York restaurants to create specialty cocktails in honor of those who were donors and those who have received the gift of life.
New York State has one of the lowest registration rates for organ donation. Founder of One8Fifty, Tom Jansinski said that is partly because of the commuter population in New York City, who likely doesn’t use the DMV, where most registrations happen.
Frankie Primo’s +39 is one of the twelve restaurants participating in this push. Owner Jay Manno said it’s personal for him.
“I lost a dear friend of mine about a year ago, and come to find out he had made himself an organ donor and saved at least three lives, and those three are still alive today and thriving from it,” Manno said.
Other restaurants involved include
- The Irishman Pub & Eatery: The Giving Punch
- Glen Park Tavern: Donors Opt-In Daquari / Intent to Consent Mango
- Juicy Burger Bar: Brew It! Eat the Donut! Boozy Shake
- Carte Blanche: Chocolate Cherry Old Fashioned
- Garage Bar & Restaurant: Blackberry Bourbon Mule
- Neat: Bourbon Smash
- VICE: Bourbon Smash
- Anchor Bar in Amherst: Blue & Green Donor Machine
- D’Avolio: Cosmopolitan
- SOHO: Double R Crown Royal Manhattan
- Frankie Primo’s: Double R Crown Royal Manhattan
- Parkside Meadow: Lavender Martini
- Where did the Texas elementary school shooter get the guns?
- What to do if you can’t avoid a rattlesnake
- The most and least expensive cities to buy a used car
- ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith says Trump ran for president to ‘get them all back’ after failed Bills bid
- US Marshal has message for murder suspect involved in alleged love triangle: ‘Surrender to authorities’
Abby Fridmann is an anchor and reporter who joined the News 4 team in November 2020. See more of her work here.