With strong winds and thunderstorms expected for parts of WNY Tuesday night, National Grid is reminding customers to be prepared and stay safe.
National Grid is offering the following tips:
- National Grid customers should call 1-800-867-5222 to report a power outage, or to report any downed wires.
- Customers are urged to stay away from all downed wires, and anything those wires might be touching like tree limbs or fencing.
- Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger restoration crews, first responders and your neighbors.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642- 4272. (In a medical emergency, always dial 911.)
- Keep a number of working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home. Also, make sure to keep mobile devices charged.
- Please drive carefully and use caution when driving near any repair crews working to restore power.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
You can keep an eye on National Grid power outages in your area by clicking here.