LOS ANGELES (KTSM) – Comedian Dave Chappelle was attacked by man while performing on stage at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles Tuesday night.
According to published reports, the unidentified man jumped on stage, rushed and tackled Chappelle, and then attempted to run away.
Reports indicate that the man was then surrounded by security at the rear of the stage and subdued.
Social media videos and photos of the attack have been posted, despite organizers holding festival attendee’s phones for the duration of the performances.
Shortly after the attack, attendees say fellow comedian Chris Rock took to the stage with Chappelle and quipped, “Was that Will Smith?” The joke was in reference to Rock being slapped by Will Smith during this year’s Academy Awards, after Rock made a joke about Smith’s wife, Jada.
Chappelle was performing as part of a comedy festival, the Netflix Is A Joke-Fest.
As this is a developing situation, look for updates during our Wednesday newscasts and here on KTSM.com
- Python hunters find missing Florida woman hundreds of miles from home
- The cars with the highest dealer markups in each state
- These are the hardest to find state quarters: Where does yours fall?
- These are the most livable US cities in 2023, study finds
- When will Medicare cover medical marijuana?
- Explosion at Pennsylvania chocolate plant kills 2, leaves 9 missing
MORE | How First Amendment ‘auditors’ target public servants for viral videos