ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — The NYS budget includes the legalization of gestational surrogacy for all to help LGBTQ couples and couples struggling with infertility.
The legalization establishes criteria for surrogacy contracts providing protection for parents and surrogates to make sure all parties give informed consent during every step of the process.
The Surrogates’ “Bill of Rights” will ensure the right of surrogates to make their own healthcare decisions including whether or not to terminate or continue with a pregnancy. Additionally, surrogates will have access to comprehensive health insurance and the independent legal counsel of their choice, which will all be paid for by the intended parents.
The legislation aims to create a streamlined process for establishing parenthood when one person is a non-biological parent, known as “second parent adoption.
- House COVID panel accuses Trump administration of exacerbating the pandemic in its final report
- Bowman on Sinema leaving Democratic Party: ‘Bye Felicia’
- Gallego, potential Arizona Senate hopeful, hits Sinema after party switch
- House Democrats release more documents they say show oil industry ‘greenwashing’
- Seven hard-line House Republicans lay out Speaker demands amid McCarthy opposition