MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WFLA) – Tampa Bay Rays minor leaguer Blake Bivens’ wife and child were among three killed in Virginia Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan.
Passan reports police in Virginia have charged Bivens’ wife’s brother with first-degree homicide.
The Rays affiliate, the Montgomery Biscuits abruptly canceled Tuesday night’s game.
The team sent out a social media announcement that provided limited details other than that it had experienced “a tragic event within the Biscuits family.”
The team asked for privacy and said it will provide “an update when it’s appropriate.”
Their opponent, the Chatanooga Lookouts, sent out a tweet as well saying “Our thoughts are with the entire Tampa Bay Rays and Montgomery Biscuits organizations.”
The Rays have also released a statement saying “Our hearts are broken for Blake. We are grieving with him and will support him any way you can.”
- Bills defense prepare for first big test of the season with Rams offense
- Canadian woman suspected of mailing ricin to Trump, South Texas officials linked to her 2019 arrest, deportation
- Sisters of 28-year-old UB medical school graduate who died from COVID warn people to take pandemic seriously
- A helping hand: Local clothing store collecting donations for Compass House
- Protesters call on Sen. Lindsey Graham to stop confirmation of SCOTUS nominee