Buffalo Public School evacuated due to nearby gas leak

Top Stories

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – A Buffalo Public School was evacuated Wednesday morning after an odor of natural gas was detected.

The gas at West Hertel Academy, 489 Hertel Ave., was shut off as a precaution as National Fuel crews determined the source of the odor.

The gas leak occurred about a block from the school on Janice Street after someone struck a gas line, National Fuel spokesperson Karen Merkel said.

The line is being repaired and the situation is safe, Merkel added.

Kids are being returned to the school now.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss