NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Police Department said Sunday it has suspended an officer without pay a day after he was seen on video saying “Trump 2020” over a patrol vehicle’s loudspeaker, a violation of department rules.
Commissioner Dermot Shea tweeted Sunday that the officer’s behavior was “One hundred percent unacceptable. Period.” He said officers must remain apolitical.
We are aware of this video and it is under investigation by our Brooklyn South Investigation Unit.— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) October 25, 2020
Police officers must remain apolitical. https://t.co/a3XyWCNceb
Mayor Bill de Blasio also promised swift action, writing in a tweet that an officer “pushing ANY political agenda while on duty will face consequences.”
Let me be clear: ANY NYPD Officer pushing ANY political agenda while on duty will face consequences. We will act fast here, and this will not be tolerated. https://t.co/c2cXwL2wUx— Mayor Bill de Blasio (@NYCMayor) October 25, 2020
A message seeking comment was left with the union representing patrol officers.
Videos posted on social media captured the officer bellowing his support of President Donald Trump from a marked police department SUV just before 10 p.m. Saturday.
- Therapist gives advice on dealing with socially distanced Thanksgiving
- Watkins Glen sanctuary hosts Thanksgiving meal for turkeys
- Western New York residents react to adjusting Thanksgiving plans amid the pandemic
- Buffalo City Mission delivers over 5,000 dinners across WNY
- AAA predicts 10% decline in Thanksgiving travel