SRI LANKA (CNN) — An elephant trampled and injured at least 17 people at a festival in Sri Lanka Saturday.
The incident occurred at a 119-year-old procession honoring the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha. According to CNN, one of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.
The parade continued after the incident.
- Little boy invites his entire kindergarten class to witness his adoption
- Lawmakers urge passage of new North American trade agreement
- St. Joe’s Slaughter scores 1,000 career points
- Thousands sign petitions demanding NFL remove former QB Michael Vick as Pro Bowl captain
- USDA finalizes new food stamp work requirements