ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WIVB) — The Bills looked a little rusty coming off the bye week but were able to grind out a win over the Dolphins, improving to 5-2 on the season. The 1st half was rather uninspiring and the game was tied 3-3 heading into the 3rd quarter. The Bills were able to clean some things up in the 2nd half and put Miami away.
Here are my 4 Observations from Sunday’s win:
- Cole comes up clutch. Every week it seems like we’re highlighting a different playmaker. This Sunday it was Cole Beasley’s turn as Josh Allen’s go-to guy. The duo found a rhythm in the 2nd half connecting 8 times for 90 yards, Beasley finished with 10 receptions for 110 yards. Allen seemed to find Beasley each time the Bills needed a play to keep the chains moving, six of Cole’s catches were for 1st downs.
- Spinning their wheels. The Bills were able to run the ball successfully in their 1st matchup(143 yards) against the Dolphins but the ground game was stuck in neutral on Sunday. Running backs Devin Singletary and Zack Moss averaged 3 yards per carry… 47 yards on 15 attempts. Josh Allen was the teams most effective runner which is never ideal. The Bills quarterback had 55 yards and a touchdown on 8 carries.
- Going streaking. The victory extended several Bills win streaks. They have now won 7 straight games over the Dolphins, longest in franchise history. Bills head coach Sean McDermott improved to a perfect 5-0 following a bye week. Going back to last season, the Bills have now won 8 games in a row against AFC East opponents, 2nd longest streak in franchise history.
- Defense gets stingy. The Bills only allowed 3 points in the 1st half but the Dolphins were able to move the ball and converted several 3rd downs. Miami’s offense was 3-for-8 on 3rd downs and had 167 total yards. The Bills defense buckled down in the 2nd half and held the Dolphins to 1-for-6 on 3rd downs and a meager 95 total yards.
Josh Reed is an award-winning journalist who has served as News 4’s Sports Director since 2015. See more of his work here.
- BKL Podcast: Week 14, Bills vs Bucs
- Bills trying to get run defense ‘really figured out’ ahead of facing Leonard Fournette and Bucs
- Sean McDermott downplays Bill Belichick’s coaching in Bills loss to Patriots on Monday night football
- Patriots out-run Bills in 14-10 win in blustery conditions
- Red Zone offense haunts Bills in 14-10 loss to Patriots