This story has been updated to reflect schedule changes due to the Blizzard of ’22.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – The Red and Black jerseys are back.
The Buffalo Sabres made a long-awaited announcement Wednesday that third jerseys resembling the ’90s era “goat head” uniforms will return this season.
The actual design of the jersey, however, was not yet released.
“This season, the team will wear the third jersey, modeled after the primary uniforms the team wore from 1996 until 2006, for 12 home games during the 2022-23 campaign,” the Sabres said. “The new uniform will be fully revealed in early November. Stay tuned for details regarding on-sale dates for the jersey.”
The team did release the dates the jerseys will be worn. They debut on Wednesday, Nov. 23 against St. Louis during a ’90s Night promotion and will be worn for a dozen games in total.
Sabres Red and Black jersey schedule
- Wednesday, Nov. 23 vs. St. Louis, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 4 vs. San Jose, 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 13 vs. Los Angeles, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 23 vs. Tampa, 7 p.m. (postponed to March 4)
- Thursday, Dec. 29 vs. Detroit, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 7 vs. Minnesota, 7 p.m.
- Monday, Jan. 9 vs Philadelphia, 7 p.m. (rescheduled from March 4)
- Saturday, Jan. 21 vs. Anaheim, 12:30 p.m.
- Sunday, Feb. 26 vs. Washington, 1 p.m.
- Saturday, March 4 vs. Philadelphia, 12:30 p.m. (moved to Jan. 9)
- Saturday, March 4 vs. Tampa, 12:30 p.m. (rescheduled from Dec. 23)
- Saturday, March 11 vs. New York Rangers, 5 p.m.
- Friday, March 24 vs. New Jersey, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, April 13 vs. Ottawa, 7 p.m.
The announcement was timed to coincide with mini packs of tickets going on sale. Single-game tickets will go on sale starting Sept. 6.
* * *
Nick Veronica is a Buffalo native who joined the News 4 team as a Digital Executive Producer in 2021. He previously worked at NBC Sports and The Buffalo News. You can follow Nick on Facebook and Twitter and find more of his work here.