On Tuesday, The Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2019 was introduced.
The 13 new members will be inducted this fall.
From Olympians, to professional standouts and athletic directors, the inductees reflected on the honor of being selected.
“As I told my grandson when we came over and saw the trophy the first time, I said, ‘just take a look at some of the names that are on that trophy. And he goes ‘Wow Papa,’ said Chuck Crist. “And, to be included with that group of people in that group of people, I am so humbled and so thankful I was able or am able to share with my family.”
The 13-member class will be inducted during the fall, and includes:
- Chuck Crist – Salamanca Born Star at Penn State and NFL
- Adam Beattie Gunn (D) – Turn of the 19th century track athlete
- Joe Horrigan – Executive Director of Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Ed Hughes (D) – NFL Head & Assistant Coach; Collegiate star at Tulsa after prepping at Kensington HS
- Len Jankiewicz – Football Coach and Athletic Director at Lancaster HS
- Dorothy Jones – Prep and Collegiate Basketball Star and Referee
- Travis Mayer – U.S.A. Olympic Medal Winning Skier
- Jeff Prescott – New York State and NCAA Wrestling Champion from Olean
- Peter Scamurra – First Buffalo-born player to sign NHL contract
- Barbara Wachowiak – First Team All-American field hockey player and top-level game official; Four-sport athlete at Hamburg HS.
- Peggy Wattles (D) – Prominent Champion Golfer
- Will (D) and James “Deacon” White (D) – Professional baseball battery mates in 1800’s. Will was first major league player to don eyeglasses.
(D) Indicates the honoree is being inducted posthumously.