The Buffalo Beauts will no longer be operated by Pegula Sports & Entertainment (PSE).
The Buffalo Beauts released a statement on Wednesday, saying PSE has reached an agreement with the NWHL to turn over operational control of the team back to the league.
“Our main goal has always been fostering the growth of women’s hockey across all ages,” said Kim Pegula, president and CEO of Pegula Sports and Entertainment. “We thank our Beauts players, staff, and fans for their support this past season. We will continue to look for ways to successfully grow the women’s game.
Last week, more than 200 female hockey players announced they were boycotting the NWHL.
“The NWHL thanks Pegula Sports and Entertainment for their stewardship of the Beauts during the last two seasons,” said NWHL Commissioner Dani Rylan. “We have a deep appreciation for the remarkable, ongoing commitment of the organization to advance the sport of hockey at all levels.”
In a separate statement from the league to News 4 Sports, the NWHL said it is “pleased to regain operating control of the 2017 Isobel Cup Champions and four-time Cup finalist Buffalo Beauts.
“The fans of Western New York are among the most dedicated in the world, and we have had four exceptional seasons of winning hockey and large crowds in Buffalo. We will look to continue our relationship with the Harborcenter and its incredible staff, and in the Beauts’ fifth season and beyond, we will build on their tradition of success.”