After another hectic month in the transfer market, only a few hours remain before the winter window comes to a close.
It has been a record-breaking transfer window for one team in particular with Chelsea setting a new mark for winter transfer spending just months after setting the summer transfer record. And the Blues may not be done yet as they are reportedly in talks with their biggest transfer target in Benfica’s Enzo Fernández.
Meanwhile, it has already been an eventful transfer window for the U.S. men’s national team. Star midfielder Weston McKennie completed a stunning move from Juventus to Leeds United, where he will join a host of familiar faces.
Here are the most notable moves to cross the finish line, the biggest rumors and a list of the priciest moves as the transfer window comes to a close:
LATEST NOTABLE TRANSFERS
Weston McKennie (Juventus to Leeds)
The U.S. men’s national team star secured a loan move to Leeds United after two and a half seasons with Italian giant Juventus. At Leeds, the 24-year-old will join USMNT teammates Brenden Aaronson and Tyler Adams as well as American manager Jesse Marsch. The deal is a loan through the end of the season with an option to buy in the summer that is reportedly worth around $40 million.
João Cancelo (Man City to Bayern Munich on loan)
The fullback has seen his playing time in the Premier League dwindle and has now orchestrated a surprising deadline day move to another European giant. His deal reportedly includes an option to make the loan permanent in the summer for around €70 million.
Anthony Gordon (Everton to Newcastle)
After being linked with Chelsea throughout much of the year, the 21-year-old forward has completed a massive $49.5 million move to Newcastle, becoming the club’s second most expensive signing ever.
THE RUMOR MILL
Chelsea has made a €120 million bid for Benfica midfielder Enzo Fernández. The 2022 World Cup Young Player of the Tournament reportedly has a release clause for that amount, which Chelsea had previously tried to negotiate before submitting the full fee. (The Athletic)
Arsenal reportedly saw a £70 million bid for midfielder Moisés Caicedo rejected by Brighton. The Gunners have already poached Leandro Trossard from Brighton in a £21 million move earlier this window and are now looking to bolster their midfield. (Sky Sports)
A move to Tottenham for fullback Pedro Porro is reportedly off. Sporting Lisbon had previously agreed to terms and told the right back that he would be allowed to leave before pulling out of the deal. However, reports claim negotiations are continuing on the final day. (David Ornstein)
Multiple reports have linked Barcelona fullback Héctor Bellerin with a move to Sporting Lisbon. However, any move would reportedly have to wait on Porro’s potential exit. (Sky Sports)
25 PRICIEST MOVES OF THE WINTER
(All values obtained via Transfermarkt and converted to USD)
- Mykhailo Mudryk (Shakhtar Donetsk to Chelsea, $76 million)
- Anthony Gordon (Everton to Newcastle, $49.5 million)
- Cody Gakpo (PSV Eindhoven to Liverpool, $45.6 million)
- Benoît Badiashile (Monaco to Chelsea, $41.3 million)
- Noni Madueke (PSV Eindhoven to Chelsea, $38 million)
- Malo Gusto (Lyon to Chelsea, $32.6 million)
- Georginio Rutter (Hoffenheim to Leeds, $30.4 million)
- Jakub Kiwior (Spezia to Arsenal, $27.1 million)
- Leandro Trossard (Brighton to Arsenal, $26.1 million)
- Dango Ouattara (Lorient to Bournemouth, $24.5 million)
- Danilo (Palmeiras to Nottingham Forest, $21.7 million)
- Joâo Gomes (Flamengo to Wolverhampton Wanderers, $20.3 million)
- Jhon Durán (Chicago Fire to Aston Villa, $18 million)
- Gerson (Marseille to Flamengo, $16.3 million)
- Victor Kristiansen (Copenhagen to Leicester City, $15.2 million)
- Carlos Alcaraz (Racing Club to Southampton, $14.8 million)
- Álex Moreno (Real Betis to Aston Villa, $14.7 million)
- Andrey Santos (Vasco da Gama to Chelsea, $13.6 million)
- Fernando Gorriarán (Santos laguna to Tigres UANL, $13.3 million)
- Danny Ings (Aston Villa to West Ham, $13 million)
- David Datro Fofana (Molde to Chelsea, $13 million)
- Max Wöber (RB Salzburg to Leeds, $13 million)
- Youssouf Ndayishmiye (Basaksehir to Nice, $12.5 million)
- Joâo Félix (Atlético Madrid on loan to Chelsea, $12 million loan fee)
- Mario Lemina (Nice to Wolverhampton Wanderers, $12 million)